RATs at Annex, Seattle
In 1995 Seattle’s Annex Theatre hosted the first Rat Conference after the Iowa initial meet. Andrea Allen’s recap of that summer’s weekend adventure conveys all the enthusiasm of the rats finding each other and their common purpose.
Friday, August 25
Getting to know each other:
After a warm greeting from our hostesses with the mostesses, Christina and Kathleen, we gathered on the Annex mainstage to get acquainted. We went around the room and described ourselves and our theatres. Since there were over 70 people in the room, this process became pretty involved–not to mention lengthy. But at least we got to put names to faces.
Pizza party at Allison Narver’s house. Another chance to chat, more informally. Always good to eat together–or “break bread together” as Erik would say. Later, many us went to Annex’s late night show, Up Past Your Bedtime. Fun was had by all.
(Full recap here)
In 1996, Annex Theatre invited Rat theaters and individuals to join them in their Lipizzaner Festival. Thieves Theatre Brooklyn and Frank Theatre Minneapolis accepted their gift and collaborated to produce Corpulus Christi: The First Church of Elvi
Mike Shapiro (aka “The Chew”), lead Annex liaison: “Rats gnaw. That’s what they do.”
Ironically, early on The Chew nixed our proposal of having a live goat as part of the ensemble. Apparently, Annex had already tried that in a previous production and the goat had chewed up all the costumes.
Some photo memories from our personal adventure at the Fourth Annual Lipizzaner Stallions on Ice: Lipizzaner Teeth Apart
CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION MAGNETS
Elvis/Jesus Fridge Magnets
Own one or own them all!!
- Jesus said: “Love thy neighbor.” (Matthew 22:39)
- Elvis said: “Don’t be cruel.” (RCA, 1956)
- Jesus is the Lord’s shepherd.
- Elvis dated Cybill Shepherd.
- Jesus was part of the Trinity.
- Elvis’ first band was a trio.
- Jesus walked on water. (Matthew 14:25)
- Elvis surfed on water. (Blue Hawaii, Paramount, 1965)
- Jesus’ entourage, the Apostles, had 12 members.
- Elvis’ entourage, the Memphis Mafia, had 12 members.
- Jesus was resurrected.
- Elvis had the famous 1968 “comeback” TV special.
- Jesus said, “If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.” (John 7:37)
- Elvis said, “Drinks on me!” (Jailhouse Rock, MGM, 1957)
- Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights.
- Elvis had irregular eating habits. (e.g. 5 banana splits for breakfast)
- Jesus is a Capricorn. (December 25)
- Elvis is a Capricorn. (January 8)
- Matthew was one of Jesus’ many biographers. (The Gospel According to Matthew)
- Neil Matthews was one of Elvis’ many biographers. (Elvis: A Golden Tribute)
- “[Jesus] appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow.” (Matthew 28:3)
- Elvis wore snow-white jumpsuits with lightning bolts.
- Jesus lived in state of grace in a Near Eastern land.
- Elvis lived in Graceland in a nearly eastern state.
- Mary, an important woman in Jesus’ life, had an Immaculate Conception.
- Priscilla, an important woman in Elvis’ life, went to Immaculate Conception High School.
- Jesus made reference to a Canaanite woman, saying, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to their dogs.” (Matthew 15:26)
- Elvis made reference to a woman, saying “You ain’t nothing but a hound dog.”
- Jesus was first and foremost the Son of God.
- Elvis first recorded with Sun Studios, which today are still considered to be his foremost recordings.
- Jesus was the lamb of God.
- Elvis had mutton chop sideburns.
- Jesus’ Father is everywhere.
- Elvis’ father was a drifter, and moved around quite a bit.
- Jesus was a carpenter.
- Elvis’ favorite high school class was wood shop.
- Jesus wore a crown of thorns in the style of royalty.
- Elvis wore Royal Crown hair styler.
- No one knows if Jesus had a middle name.
- No one was really sure if Elvis’ middle name was “Aron” or “Aaron”.
- Jesus is often depicted in pictures with a halo that looks like a gold plate.
- Elvis’ face is often depicted on a plate with gold trim and sold on TV.
- Jesus said: “Man shall not live by bread alone.”
- Elvis liked peanut butter and banana sandwiches
- Jesus was regarded by some to have been an extraordinary prophet.
- Elvis was regarded by some to have made an extraordinary profit.
One thought on “RATs at Annex, Seattle”
Elvis hasn’t quite left the building. He still has the coveted corner of the bookshelf for his shrine. But happy to be retired now from all those years of Elvis impersonations and shenanigans: Naked Elvis, LongTall Elvis, Homeless and Squeegee Elvis.